How to give a new life to a classic recipe? Well, simply chuck it on your grill and fire it up. Caprese sandwich is one such classic recipe and we seek to blow a new life into it using the technique of charring on a grill to improve upon it. Well, it is not as easy as just chucking it on the grill; it rather involves an elaborate procedure of grilling and some care to incorporate a tinge of flavor in your Caprese sandwich. Here, we take a look at how it is done. Let us move further into the topic.
- The time required
This recipe is profoundly vegan and so does not need much input of time into it. You may save much of your valuable hours of the day, yet cook a stunning sandwich for a quick break. Ideally, Charred Caprese Sandwich takes about 30 to 45 minutes to cook. As is evident in every grilled recipe, most of the time is spent on the grill.
- The required ingredients
There is a little basket you need to fill out in order to go on with the process of cooking. Grab the following:
- 4 ounces of mozzarella, fresh and whittled down into pieces
- Half a teaspoon of lemon zest
- Half a cup of parsley leaves
- A cup full of basil leaves
- Some black pepper, freshly ground
- 3 cups full of cherry tomatoes
- 4 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- A half baguette split lengthwise in half
- 3 tablespoons of vinegar, red wine
- A finely ground garlic clove
- A large shallot, slice it into rings
- Some kosher salt
- A teaspoon of lemon juice, fresh
- 2 teaspoons of Dijon mustard
- Half a cup of mayonnaise
- Some red pepper flakes, crushed
With these ready, let us move on to the procedure involved.
- The procedure of cooking
Stick to the following steps:
- Blend together lemon juice, mustard, and mayonnaise in a bowl. Season this mixture with salt.
- In another bowl, bring together vinegar, garlic, and shallot.
- Allow this mixture to stay for about 10 minutes.
- Drain the unnecessary liquid.
- Preserve vinegar and shallots separately.
- Fire up your grill on a medium high flame. Apply some oil on the bread and place it on the grill. In about 2 minutes on each side, it would appear lightly charred.
- Use salt to season this bread and allow some time for it to cool.
- Heat up a skillet made of cast iron.
- Mix the tomatoes with the remnant oil, cook for some time in a pan. In 3 minutes, tomatoes should appear charred.
- Now bring back the vinegar that was kept aside and add these tomatoes to it. Add some pepper and salt to this mixture. Allow the contents to cool down.
- To this, add lemon zest, parsley and basil. Mix everything up.
- Apply mayonnaise mixture on the baguette halves. Use mozzarella to top these.
- Add some red pepper flakes, shallots and tomatoes.
Your Charred Caprese Sandwich would so be ready.
Now, go take a break!